Written by Marissa Ann Portillo, BS, RLATG, CM
Welcome back to our pet recipe series! Happy Holidays!
For December, we are preparing for the new year and ’tis the season for New Year’s resolutions and starting new routines! For many, that means trying to stay healthy and the same can go for our furry friends too!
Vegan Chia Peanut Butter Snacks
Chia seeds are a very healthy option for humans and dogs alike! Chia seeds are a wonderful source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids and are the perfect substitute for fish oil – some dogs do not tolerate fish oil supplements well or live in households with their human companions that may have fish allergies. Chia seeds can also help during this time of year to make sure skin and coat stay looking sleek and shiny!
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened organic peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp water
(Note: for a gluten-free option, you can use oat flour)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- “Bloom” chia seeds by placing the 1 tbsp chia seeds in a small cup with 2 tbsp of water. Allow seeds to expand for 5 minutes. Seeds should look like a jelly after 5 minutes.
- Add coconut oil and peanut butter in a small bowl with the chia seed mixture.
- Microwave mixture for 30 seconds on high until peanut butter and coconut oil are fully melted.
- Add flour to mixture and mix well.
- Roll dough onto parchment paper and use your favorite cookie cutter or a small glass to cut out shapes for the cookies. Place dough cut-outs onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool and serve!
Enjoy, and wishing all a very joyful holiday season and happy New Year!
Tested and approved by Sebastian, Smeagol, CoCo Bean, and Miss Piggy!
Stay tuned for next month’s January/winter-themed recipe!